Dulas is a small island located off the north-east coast of Anglesey about a mile offshore within Dulas Bay, one of the best views is from Lligwy Beach, a really fabulous beach with its own car park, dog friendly and a fantastic café.

The size of the island depends on the tide, with a maximum length of 623 metres and width of 207 metres against a minimum of 184 metres by 35 metres. It has a maximum area of 18.3 acres which is mainly rocky, but at low tide sand is exposed, most noticeably on the southern part of the island where it separates the main rock formation from two smaller ones named Garnog (Hooves). Seals are often spotted living on and around the island but it is too small for human inhabitation. There is also very little flora on the island owing to its rocky composition. However, on lower lying parts of the island, exposed at low tide, seaweeds and other sea plants live. A smaller rock called Garreg Allan (the Outer, Expelled or Furthest Stone) is found about 100m behind the island, but is not visible with the naked eye from the shore.


It is a beautiful view from the mainland but hides many tragic stories. In the days of wooden ships, this side of Anglesey is often battered by the violence of the North Sea. Storms would last for days and it was always with heavy hearts that local fishermen would visit the island to discover the dead bodies of sailors. Somehow, wreck survivors managed to swim to this temporary shore to then die of thirst and exposure.


The cylindrical tower structure on the island, 9 metres tall with a cone shaped top, was built in 1821 by James Hughes of Llys Dulas Manor to store food and provide shelter for shipwrecked seamen. There is evidence from a map drawn up in September 1748 by Lewis Morris that the island was once known not as Ynys Dulas but Ynys Gadarn (Strong or Mighty Island).

Dulas

Image credits (clockwise from top):

John Willacy, Performance Sea Kayak2

Llanfair Hall

Llanfair Hall

Robin Leicester